Your identity as a gospel musician
Many of the gospel musicians have not find their identity yet, some gospel music minister does not identify who they are in the ministry. (Rom 11:29), in the secular world people get identified by the style of the music they played, but in Christendom you don’t identify by the style of music but by the kind of ministry you exhibit, it is not the music that gives you your identity but it is your ministry that gives you identity, you cannot say I am singing R&B Christian music but you can say I am a teacher using R&B style of music to communicate, let not be identify by the style of music we play but let us be identify by the kind of ministry we exhibit.
Music is the tool to communicate a message and because is the energy and the gift given to the musician to carry the message to the people, music is not math but is life, God will not call you what he has not gifted you and the calling is God’s original purpose for the gift given to you. We have five good ways in operating as a gospel musician, which is called five-fold ministry. Five-fold ministry doesn’t affect God in any way, they are not focus on God but they focus on man, none of these five-fold ministry applies to God, it’s only apply to man.
“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;” (Eph 4:11), yes we have these ministries for those that are called into these ministries, but yet these also apply to the gospel musician too because we also operate in all these ministries in our ministrations, we preach, teach, prophesy, and evangelize. That is why I say you are the minister of the gospel through music you are not called to entertain the world but to preach the gospel of Christ to the world in music.
1. We operate the pastoral ministry, the bible says we should speak, “speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord” (Eph 5:19). Speaking is the natural language of the understanding, and singing is the natural language of the heart. We always use words to express our thoughts, but we do not always use words to express our feelings. Singing is no less natural to humankind than speaking. They are naturally disposed to speak, because they wish to communicate their thoughts, and they are naturally disposed to sing, because they wish to communicate their feelings. In the pastoral ministry pastors speak, the word of God-to-God’s people feeding them the word of God.
2. We operate the teaching ministry, in Colo 3:16, the bible says we should teach, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your heart to the Lord”. God has granted us the grace to operate in this ministry as a music minister.
The apostle directs Christians not only to sing, but also to sing in psalms, or hymns, or spiritual songs. This is always proper in devotional music, which has immediate reference to God, who is the only proper object of our worship. When music is adapted to the mere sound of words, it can serve no other purpose than to please the ear; but when it is adapted to the proper meaning of a psalm or hymn, it not only pleases the ear, but also affects the heart. We speak i.e. preach and also we teach in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, so what is this *psalms *hymns *and spiritual song?
1. Psalms is a song based upon the activities of God in the past, present, and on the future, in a nutshell is a prophetic song.
2. Hymns are a religion songs used to praise God, this also are songs based upon the laws, commandment, precept, principles of God i.e. a doctrinal song. They are the songs of some other excellent men recorded in Scripture, as Moses, Heman, Asaph, etc.
3. Spiritual song is a song never premeditated it’s descend on you at the spur of the moment and when it is accomplishing it usually vanishes, i.e. an intercessory song (it is a warfare prayer song). Therefore, you are minister in these through your music ministry.
3. We operate in the prophetic ministry, we use our songs to prophesy through the word of God in our mouth in music, and we use our musical instrument to prophesy. The bible says in 1chro 25:1-end, when the sons of Asaph, Heman and of Jeduthun were separated to the service of God to prophesy with harps, psalteries, and with cymbals.
4. We operate in the evangelistic ministry, if praise is to speak good about a person, so evangelism is to speak good news to people about Jesus Christ. Your music can testify or can be a witness; there are some songs we sing that is evangelistic in nature in praise, in songs we minister.
God does not change your gift but He only uses another direction for the same gift for the same purpose and what is that purpose is to lead souls to Christ.
5. Gospel music also operate in the apostolic ministry, most of our fathers in the gospel music ministry are operating in this apostolic ministry, Apostle is a pioneer, is to send any of these folds to the virgin land, apostle always operate in strange land.
So if you don’t know your identity it will be difficult for any gospel musician to sing with understanding and what you are call to do that is the time you will start entertaining people instead of ministering to their life. We are called to preach, teach, evangelize through music, we preach the bible, teach the bible, and evangelize with the bible.
The reward of the gospel music minister.
Peter said to him, “We have left everything to follow you!”
“I tell you the truth,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel. Will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. Mark 10:28-30 NIV.